[theforum] BEO ad tag

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Aug 27 09:15:18 CDT 2009

Just a heads up,

I updated the google ad tag in:

   /store/host/browsers.evolt.org/beodl/beo-footer.adsense.html

and in:

   /store/host/browsers.evolt.org/beodl/beo-footer.adsense.php

The old versions of both files are in ~tilde-suffixed backup files int
he same path.

Here's the diff:

diff beo-footer.adsense.html~ beo-footer.adsense.html
57,62c57,61
< <script type="text/javascript">
< <!--
< google_ad_client = 'pub-9825598862931734';
< google_ad_channel = '1040041585';
< // google_ad_test = 'on';
< google_ad_width = 120;
---
 > <script type="text/javascript"><!--
 > google_ad_client = "pub-9825598862931734";
 > /* 160x600, created 8/27/09 */
 > google_ad_slot = "8402236958";
 > google_ad_width = 160;
64,71c63
< google_ad_format = '120x600_as';
< // google_ad_url = 'browsers.evolt.org';
< google_color_border = '869AA4';
< google_color_bg = 'C6C8CF';
< google_color_link = '000000';
< google_color_url = '869AA4';
< google_color_text = '000000';
< // -->
---
 > //-->

The new tag allows us to store the ad settings on the google side, and
change/manage them from their UI.

Then I made the following changes to the ad:

1. I made it a wider, to better match the column width (though that's
somewhat fluid) so it's now 160x600 instead of 120x600 (also to better
match the red box above, which looks to about 160 wide too)

2. I gave it cutesy rounded corners (massive innovation, there)

3. I faithfully preserved the dark, spooky-moody, edgy color scheme of
BEO and the previous ad unit :-)

I'd *never* ask you all (and certainly would never ask you all to ask
all your friends) to click on ads there, just because they are CPC
(cost-per-click), and our average monthly revenue from beo has hit an
all time low of around ~$23... because that would be a blatant violation
of our terms of service with Google!

So hopefully all of beo's organic visitor traffic will be so smitten
with the new improved width and corner roundness that they, and you and
all your friends will be moved to visit all those advertisers site of
their own free will!

I also had a google adsense rep call me and offer to help us maximize
our revenue by adding ad units elsewhere on the page -- they recommend
big square ads in the middle of the content cell (and elsewhere).

While I'm not thrilled about adding more ads to the page, I do kinda
like the idea of adding some other types of ads besides the classic
google text ad:

   https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=142

Of course they have image ads now (though these are never animated,
which is a nice touch),

Video ads would be cool (as long as the products being advertised were
cool and neat things (to web developers) as opposed to, you know, late
night infomercials for the latest nutrient additives, self-help books,
exercise equipment or get-rich-quick program...)

And I'm almost afraid to click through to see what a "Gadget Ad" is...
but wish me luck!

--dave