[theforum] [Sysadmin] Fwd: Here’s your DigitalOcean credit for team: evolt!

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Mar 21 19:46:10 UTC 2017

[ Oops forgot to cc: theForum as promised... ]

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM,
William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:

> we could bump up the spec of
> cerf. I bumped him from 512MB RAM to 1GB but he still goes into swap
> (~140MB so far, with 128MB used as cache and 76 MB free).  Going from
> 1GB / 1 core / 2TB transfer to 2GB / 2 core / 3TB transfer (not that
> we're in danger of eating our transfer) would a) keep us out of swap
> usage, b) give us an extra core, and c) get the most out of our
> generous service credit.
>
> Whatcha think folks?

Fine by me!  Like I said, we can easily afford more horsey-power!

I still feel weird running a dedicated virtual server just for DNS,
even a $5/month one!  Why not just run bind on the mail server?

I enjoy twiddling with my own DNS settings as much as the next nerd,
but (as I may have ranted previously) I also must admit that I hate
bind :-) Why not run TinyDNS on the mail server?

Or (as i also whined recently) why not just use the free web-based DNS
services offered by just about every registrar and hosting provider
nowadays?  Even DO has one!

See? I just added evolter.org!  It has every bell and whistle for
which a nerdy dns twiddler such as myself could ask:

  https://cloud.digitalocean.com/networking/domains/

I didn't point the WHOIS nameservers at it of course, (yet, but I
reserve the threat...) but like pair's, and GoDaddy's and Amazon AWS's
fine DNS editors, it is so free, and so easy and, being accessible
through Digital Ocean's admin interface it makes it much *more*
accessible to the rest of us (esp. those of us who hate bind lol)

</rant>

So I guess my point is I'd be even more All-For beefing up serf if
postel was put out to pasture...

But it's just cuz I hate bind **SO**, so very much -- if it were
running TinyDNS, I'd be all over it, probably building that node.js
web interface I've been meaning to build for just about forever now,
to replace the free EveryDNS service (that evolt used to use) for
anyone who wants one... guess that might require a bit more than 512MB
of RAM though, ya think?

PS: EveryDNS, btw, for those of you not using it for other domains,
finally shut down after evolter David Ulevitch leveraged it into the
wildly successful commercial-but-free OpenDNS service, then sold
EveryDNS to Dyn.com (who promised to keep it free forever but then
didn't) and then sold OpenDNS to CIsco, and took a VP job there.  Not
bad for just another DNS twiddler, Dave!

-dave

[ cross-posted to theForum just in case Ulevitch is still subscribed,
and to boost its monthly message volume by an order of magnitude of
infitiy ]