[theforum] SSL

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Sep 16 13:57:09 UTC 2017

ello all,

just a quick apology if you visited evolt at all in the last 12 hours
or so and got an error.  I've transitioned everything over (weo,
lists, browsers) to use SSL.  The SSL certs are generated by Let's
Encrypt, so they are free of financial cost to us, and they'll renew
automatically (every 3 months).

For weo, this was a bit of a faff, as GitHub Pages doesn't support SSL
for custom domains, so I've configured Apache on cerf to reverse proxy
requests for weo through to the stock GitHub Pages site address, and
changed the DNS for evolt.org and www.evolt.org to point at cerf, and
that's working nicely.  This is actually useful in a way, as we get to
see stats on web traffic which we couldn't see directly with GH Pages.

There's an additional benefit in that we can ssh directly to evolt.org again ;)

If you see any problems, please let me know.

-n