[thesite] Body edit textarea - not always escaping chars

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sun Dec 17 01:09:19 CST 2000

<ol>,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Oliver Lineham
:
: On the article editor, the content in the "body"
: textarea isn't (IMO) being escaped properly.
: The result is IE5.5 sometimes shows tags,
: sometimes doesn't (haven't tried other browsers).
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this has nothing to do with the browser.  if you view the source of the
document you'll see that the only characters that are being replaced are the
ampersand (&) with it's html character entity (&amp;).  that's all that's
necessary to make it work.  it will show *everything* else in the textarea
as it gets it.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Example that works right:
: (The Tao of Testing) - I can see all the tags, <p>'s etc in the body
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

correct - you can see them cause in the source code too.  html tags that are
escaped and intended to be viewed on the page they'll appear beginning with
&lt;blah&gt;.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Example that doesn't work right:
: (P3P Project) - I can see a few tags like the <a> and
: <blockquote>s, but the <p>'s have been interpreted
: by the browser and I can't see or edit them.

that's because that article did not have any <p> tags in it to begin with.
if you don't believe me go to the edit screen and view the source.  you'll
see that there aren't any <p> tags anywhere in the body textarea.

thanks,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development