[thesite] test.evolt - urls to articles

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Nov 20 18:43:50 CST 2000

> yes, its permanent. we did it for a couple reaons.
>
> 1.) looks better than passing variables on the right
> 2.) index spiders just *LOVE* it when there are keywords in the URL, as
> opposed to just the body or meta tags. they give higher relevance when
> there are keywords in the URL as well.
>
> this is the super sexy swinging URL formatting we were talking about. If
> you cruise around teh site you'll notice that most of the URL's now look
> 'real', not just article ones. the only ones that dont are form
> submissions, which robots don't follow anyways.

very cool. urls with some indication of the content to come are helpful.

better to have

http://test.evolt.org/article/The_winter_is_going/25/4148/index.cfm
http://test.evolt.org/article/Weather_outside_is_frightful/25/4152/index.cfm
http://test.evolt.org/article/Testing_approval/18/4109/index.cfm

than

http://test.evolt.org/article/25/4148/index.cfm
http://test.evolt.org/article/25/4152/index.cfm
http://test.evolt.org/article/18/4109/index.cfm

and trying to guess which is which.

is it possible to have a shorter version without the article titles though?

http://test.evolt.org/article/18/4109/index.cfm
or
http://test.evolt.org/18/4109/index.cfm

don't appear to work.

i'm just thinking of people pasting URLs into emails and having them wrap.
with the weather outside article above, i had to delete a few words to get
it to wrap ok. even with the contracted article title, the link still works.

can you give a lowdown on how it works? will it work with
article/anything/18/4109/index.cfm ? or does the stuff straight after
"article" have to bear ANY relevance to the article title at all?

ie, could someone paste:

http://test.evolt.org/article/this_is_a_great_article/18/4109/index.cfm

?