[thesite] test.evolt - urls to articles

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Tue Nov 21 11:41:11 CST 2000

isaac wrote:

> is it possible to have a shorter version without the article titles though?
>
> http://test.evolt.org/article/18/4109/index.cfm
> or
> http://test.evolt.org/18/4109/index.cfm
>
> don't appear to work.
>
> i'm just thinking of people pasting URLs into emails and having them wrap.
> with the weather outside article above, i had to delete a few words to get
> it to wrap ok. even with the contracted article title, the link still works.

i can understand what you're saying. we have to determine if the value
of non-wrapping URLs for when people post them in emails is greater than
the title in the URL.

most email programs wrap at 72 chars
http://evolt.org/article/this_is_a_great_article/18/4109/index.cfm

the above url is 66chars(i think) so its possible that a number of our
URLs could wrap.. it seems we have about 29 chars to play with in the
title before it wraps..

> can you give a lowdown on how it works? will it work with
> article/anything/18/4109/index.cfm ? or does the stuff straight after
> "article" have to bear ANY relevance to the article title at all?

jeff will be able to explain it better than me, so i'll let him do it :)

> ie, could someone paste:
>
> http://test.evolt.org/article/this_is_a_great_article/18/4109/index.cfm

ya. as jeff will explain, thats cus the title in the URL isn't parsed,
so anything could go in there its more for the benefits of readers and bots.

.djc.