[thesite] test.evolt - urls to articles

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Nov 21 16:38:48 CST 2000

<ol>,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Oliver Lineham
:
: why not put it at the end?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

we can put whatever we want at the end, but not quite in the manner you're
proposing.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://evolt.org/18/4109/article/this_is_a_great_article.cfm
:
: - if people want to save the articles to disk, they'll get
: a nicer filename (this_is_a_great_article.cfm)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that's a very cool advantage to your idea.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: are there technical reasons why it can't work this way?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yeah, several issues.  are you familiar with the basics behind the fusebox
methodology?

if so, we're basically showing the article page based on a switch where the
first "directory" is article.  without that there's no way of knowing what
exactly is being requested and cfincluding the appropriate templates and
making the appropriate database calls.

using the above url, the following would work though.

http://test.evolt.org/article/view/18/4109/this_is_a_great_article.cfm

or this:

http://test.evolt.org/article/v/1/1331/Monkeyjunkies_list_to_shut_down.cfm

make sense?