[thesite] [html] accesskey and form id attributes

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 14:28:43 CST 2000

> From: "David McCreath" <mccreath at ak.net>
>
> Are we assigning accesskeys to *all* form elements?

no, select menus (for some reason the W3C doesn't immediately
give) don't get them... radio buttons and checkboxes can take
them, but often i leave them out in favor of good tab order
(otherwise you use up the entire alphabet in no time)...

> Do we have a standard for picking the key?

the forms that are always there get first dibs... so 's' is taken by
Search and 'l' is taken by Log In... same thing for tabindex... all
form elements should have one, starting with the constants (the
blacknav one and the ones in the right side), and then jump to
some much higher number to start cascading to elements
generated on a per-page basis...

also, using tabindex or accesskey for hyperlinks has the
unfortunate tendency to activate the hyperlink in some browsers,
instead of just giving it focus, so i've opted to leave them off
hyperlinks...

> Some forms have both the "name" and "id" attribute and some don't. Should we
> be adding the missing piece to the forms that don't have both?

forms that need the 'id' attribute are those that will be referenced by
<label> tags... for instance, the select menu at the top doesn't
have any ids because there are no labels to click on... but the text
box to log in does, because of the <label for="uid"> tag that allows
HTML4-friendly browsers to select the field by clicking on the text...

if you choose to add ids, except for radio buttons and checkboxes,
make the id the same as the name... for radio buttons and
checkboxes, make it the name_value...

hope that all makes sense...