[thesite] anchors and 6 possible URL formats

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat Apr 7 18:47:27 CDT 2001

thesite,

Dan just added support for older links in the pre-Evolt2.0 format. For
instance, this URL now works fine, without an intermediary page:

http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206

Now, the problem is that we now have 6 possible URLs for the same "page":

http://www.evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
http://evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=206
http://www.evolt.org/keyword_phrase
http://evolt.org/keyword_phrase

Not to mention that the
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
format can be an infinate number of different links:
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/1/206/index.html
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/Cube_Power/206/index.html
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/View_article/206/index.html
http://www.evolt.org/article/301/etc/206/index.html

So, the first thing that I suggest is that we change the old->new url
redirection just added to use the title format of the SSURL links so we
aren't adding another 2 frequently-used formats.

Who cares how many formats we're using?
Our users do. When you have an intra-page anchor:

http://www.evolt.org/article/301/Yahoo_users_organize_boycott/206/index.html
#anchor

and the URL in the address bar is:

http://www.evolt.org/article/301/1/206/index.html

The page will reload. We have 6 (really 8 now) different formats actively
used to reference the same "page". So, one out of the 6(8) formats will not
result in the reload of a page when clicking an intra-page anchor.

Any way to change this? As I understand it, it can't be changed. We have to
put the entire URL into anchors. But... can anyone think of a way around
this? I know it annoys the hell out of me when I have http://evolt.org/.../
in my browser bar and the page reloads because the anchor uses the www.
version. Now, that problem is increased greatly.

Thoughts?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com