[thesite] user power cubes..

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Aug 8 16:37:51 CDT 2001

Okay:

One of the points in the discussion a couple of months ago was that gold and
silver are hard to recognizably render at teeny sizes and multiple
resolutions. Another point (mine) was questioning the use of the logo for
this, the idea being that the logo is our logo, not just a graphic doo-dad,
and we shouldn't mess with it. I can post my whole argument again if you
want, but I want some other opinions, too. That's why I was experimenting
with the single cube.

Okay, that said, here's what I have:

1. experiments with single cubes:

http://members.evolt.org/mccreath/evolt/cubes/evoltratingcube1.gif

and in PNG format, for those what wants it:

http://members.evolt.org/mccreath/evolt/cubes/evoltratingcube1.png

2. experiments with the logo:

http://members.evolt.org/mccreath/evolt/cubes/evoltratingcube2.gif

and in PNG:

http://members.evolt.org/mccreath/evolt/cubes/evoltratingcube2.png

And what the hell, I found my message about the logo. Take it for what it's
worth. I'm not making a stand, just discussing. It's identity theory, and I
can be swayed.

-+-+-+-

Don't wanna sound like a broken record, but I'm hesitant to use the logo
(cubes) in non-logo ways, especially in this sense. I know Dan just used the
cubes in his explanation as an example, but I don't want people to get
carried away with it. Bear with me for tick, this is anal-retentive identity
stuff.

The logo shows the three primary colors of the visible spectrum as we use
them on a CRT, illustrating that parts combine to make a greater whole (the
entire visible spectrum, or at least 32 bit color). It also shows a pyramid
from expanding from the bottom up, which is another great allegory for
evolt's community.

If we use cubes of the same colors as the cubes in the logo, we're doing two
things: 1) assigning value (qualitative or quantitative depending on how you
look at it) to each color and 2) breaking up the pyramid. Both of those
undermine the absolute coolness of our logo. And our logo kicks ass.

Now, I like the cube/rating idea (I actually *love* cubes in general. Making
a perfect cube out of pencil steel is one of the hardest things to learn in
welding; it's a rite of passage.). But we need to specficially stay away
from breaking up the logo.

-+-+-+-

David