[thesite] [Fwd: [A] [bug]Mail Alert! - Mon Aug 20 1933441789]

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Tue Aug 21 10:38:50 CDT 2001

Guys,

I think the problem is that the user was trying to get the code that he had
written to display, not to be processed.

Should show up on the screen as <hr><br />

Not as a horizontal line and a line break, as is happening (in both NS and
IE).

This is the text from one of the comments:

<quote>
Off the top of my head, I believe that the best way to handle "empty" tags
Just insert the space before the slash and older browsers will treat the /
as an unknown attribute of the element...and will just ignore it, but your
code will still validate and/or be "well-formed". Hope this helps...
</quote>

I just dropped this into an article on teo:
http://test.evolt.org/article/view/18/9279/index.html#comment14513

<quote>

Just insert the space before the slash and older browsers will treat the /
as an unknown attribute of the element...and will just ignore it, but your
code will still validate and/or be "well-formed". Hope this helps...</p>
</quote>

And despite what was reported in the bug report, it does NOT display
correctly on the preview screen (at least not in IE).

Looks like <code> is being completely ignored.

Anyway, just a bit more info.  HTH,

Michele