[thesite] hosting listings on d.e.o.

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Aug 29 21:56:52 CDT 2001

> From: Michele Foster
>
> David,
>
> Quickie question .. your four options you present below .. are they for
> listing the Hosts within the current d.e.o. application.  Or are they for
> creating a new evolt subsite using the evolt CMS?

They're all for working within d.e.o.

> I'm thinking it would be a good idea to present the options for
> both of the above.

I really think this should be on d.e.o. I think the idea of using w.e.o.'s
"Review & Links" would work, but I'm not really sure it's the right use for
it, or that it would accomplish what we're trying to do with the ratings.

On w.e.o., the ratings system is for the article itself. So following that
model through, the ratings system on a review of a host would be used to
rate the review. Trying to crowbar it into a different use would be
counter-intuitive.

> Your fourth option is the least amount of "new" work required, but that
> means we create a new subsite.  Adding the ratings and comments to the
> current deo structure would be more additional work.

Nonononono ... there's no reason at all for an additional subsite. This is
hardly that important or useful given all the other resources out there for
finding hosts. We definitely don't need another -.e.o. right now (IMNSHO).

> Can you please clarify the above.  I can help put together a page tomorrow
> afternoon that outlines the various options to consider (unless you want
> too).

If you want to put up a page to gather a show of hands as to the usefulness
of the feature that's fine. That's really all I'm trying to do at this
point. Figure out if we even want it. If we want it, then we'll figure out
how to implement it.

Shoot, we could even just have a category on d.e.o. that lists all the lists
of hosts and leave it at that.

> Which means, I'm
> leaning towards a new subsite .. and don't have this as part of deo.

See above.

> (oops, I said more than a quickie question.. hehe)

Tha's cool. Quickies are so unsatisfying. ;)

David.