[thesite] deo bookmarklet

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Dec 6 05:39:00 CST 2001

At 04:15 PM 12/6/2001, Simon Coggins typed these words:
>Okay, it's all done I think. Check it out at:
>
>http://dir.evolt.org/info/bookmarklet

Hi Simon.

Looks pretty good.

Comments:

1) http://dir.evolt.org/images/tab_cap_short.gif is a 404

2) The Red for the "required fields" hurts my eyes. It's too prominent. It
clashes with the BG colour. Something milder perhaps? A dark orange maybe?

3) IMHO, the "categories" should come after "description". Let the user
make sure the other information is accurate. Some sites have the same TITLE
for all articles (e.g., www.theregister.co.uk) In that case, a person has
to make the change manually. Also, it gives us a chance to make the combo
box larger, which I think is required with so many categories.

4) Once the link has been submitted, the confirmation window should
automatically close itself after 5 seconds. There's no need for it to hang
around anyway.

5) The text at the top, "Please fill in the form below." should be replaced
by the more useful "Add a link to the evolt.org web design and development
directory". It's pretty obvious that it's a form, and hence needs to be
filled in. ;)

6) For those unfamiliar with bookmarklets, we should create a small
animated GIF showing how to add it to the links bar. To see an example of
what I mean, visit http://www.webopedia.com/searchtool/ (though their
version isn't animated). I'll try to knock one up if possible.

7) Once *again*, the "bookmarklet" link is hidden away on the d.e.o site.
Sure, it's *there*, but not conspicuous at all. We need to highlight it,
and use more exciting text to explain it. +1/-1 from members?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon