[thesite] deo bookmarklet

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 06:10:04 CST 2001

> 1) http://dir.evolt.org/images/tab_cap_short.gif is a 404

Oops that's a new graphic I made but forgot to copy over. It's on my
computer at home - I'll get to it tonight.

> 2) The Red for the "required fields" hurts my eyes. It's too prominent. It
> clashes with the BG colour. Something milder perhaps? A dark orange maybe?

Good point. I never really liked the idea of using colours anyway (because
I don't like relying on colour for functionalilty and in case user
stylesheets ever get implemented on deo). I've put them back to black for
now. If anyone can think of another way of highlighting the required
fields without using colours let me know.

> 3) IMHO, the "categories" should come after "description". Let the user
> make sure the other information is accurate. Some sites have the same TITLE
> for all articles (e.g., www.theregister.co.uk) In that case, a person has
> to make the change manually. Also, it gives us a chance to make the combo
> box larger, which I think is required with so many categories.

Done and done.

> 4) Once the link has been submitted, the confirmation window should
> automatically close itself after 5 seconds. There's no need for it to hang
> around anyway.

Done.

> 5) The text at the top, "Please fill in the form below." should be replaced
> by the more useful "Add a link to the evolt.org web design and development
> directory". It's pretty obvious that it's a form, and hence needs to be
> filled in. ;)

Done.

> 6) For those unfamiliar with bookmarklets, we should create a small
> animated GIF showing how to add it to the links bar. To see an example of
> what I mean, visit http://www.webopedia.com/searchtool/ (though their
> version isn't animated). I'll try to knock one up if possible.

Excellent thanks.

> 7) Once *again*, the "bookmarklet" link is hidden away on the d.e.o site.
> Sure, it's *there*, but not conspicuous at all. We need to highlight it,
> and use more exciting text to explain it. +1/-1 from members?

Sounds good. Have you got any ideas on that? Perhaps a small box in the
sidebar with a link and a brief description? Exciting text is not really
my thing I'm afraid - if you come up with the copy I'll add it!

Thanks for all the feedback,

Simon