[thesite] An idea regarding article submissions

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon Dec 10 09:50:09 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>

| simon,
|
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
| > From: Simon Coggins
| >
| > Essentially the idea is to add an additional field in
| > the article submission form where the author could type
| > anything they wanted to appear in the document <head>.
| > This could include javascript, css (either inline or
| > linked) and meta tags (in particular keywords, title,
| > description and author).
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
|
| this is a great idea.
|
| javascript and css (within reason) i don't have a problem with.  meta tags
| aren't necessary and will be taken care of in a future version so that
| they're done:

Raises hand ...

Add CSS to an individual article?  How's that going to work with the user
defined  (or selected) CSS files?  What might look good now, may not look
good with other CSS files.  What happens if an attribute conflicts with what
is in use in the current CSS?

I realize there will be an option for Admin to fix any possible conflicts,
but isn't that putting a bit too much added responsibility on Admin?  Who
has time to check that the additions/changes made by the author still
maintain browser degradability to the same high standard already in place?

I don't think we're ready for this ..

The article Simon used as an example, I think the link to the example is
PERFECT .. its so much easier for someone to see what's being talked about.
If we added that particular example, inline, then the user trying to figure
out what's going, by view sourcing the article, is going to have a heck of a
time.

I see some concerns with allowing article-specific CSS .. and I really
wonder how the @import will work on just one article.

Let's tread carefully with this idea .. and make sure its a good one and
that it would be useful for both authors and users.  I'm not seeing a case
where an offsite link isn't better.  Maybe that's just the way I prefer to
read/use articles.  I like having a sample open in another window and
following along with the how-to.

Michele