[thesite] An idea regarding article submissions

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 10 10:54:44 CST 2001

> : I realize there will be an option for Admin to fix any possible conflicts,
> : but isn't that putting a bit too much added responsibility on Admin?  Who
> : has time to check that the additions/changes made by the author still
> : maintain browser degradability to the same high standard already in place?
> :
> : I don't think we're ready for this ..
>
> You're right, CSS could turn into a nightmare.  Therefore, -1 on CSS.
>
> However, +1 on JS, -1 on Meta tags... though, here's a though.

I wasn't suggesting giving the author control over the article CSS, just
allowing them to create their own classes/ids for use with CSS example
articles (so the article and example would be together in one place).

Thinking about it though, it would be quite rare for this to be required,
and in these cases linking to the example does work alright. Perhaps it is
easier to just say no to CSS.

As for javascript, it is still possible to include JS in the body if it is
required for an example. Although the head is perhaps more correct, it's
still valid usage to stick it in the document body so I don't see a
problem with leaving that as it is.

So that leaves meta tags. I think it would be nice to have descriptions
and keywords that fit the articles in question rather than a general evolt
description. I don't see why this couldn't be done automatically - take
the author from the db, use the synopsis as the description. Keywords are
a little tricker - but not impossible to do.

So after further thought I'm not certain this is such a good idea after
all.

Simon
-1ing his own ideas so others don't have to...