[thesite] New Oracle Box

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 28 15:20:25 CST 2001

I took a look at the usual Oracle statistics:

   data buffer cache hit ratio = 94%
   shared pool hit ratio = 97%
   data dictionary hit ratio = 84%

I'd increase the shared_pool_size to get the data dictionary hit ratio
up higher.  And maybe increasing db_block_buffers to get the data
buffer cache hit ratio up a little higher, i.e., > 97%.

It looks like there is a lot of free physical memory (~700MB) so
increasing these parameters shouldn't cause the system any problem.
There's no OS swapping going on so that's not a problem.

We're sitting at 16MB of shared_pool_size now, so maybe bump it up
another 8MB or 16MB.  We're using 3200 db_block_buffers, so maybe
increase that to 4800.  You might also want to bump up the amount of
sort area since there is so much physical memory to burn.

Dean