AvantGo (was: Re: [thesite] RDF?)

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Tue Feb 27 02:05:52 CST 2001

On 2/26/01 2:19 AM you wrote:

> when people subscribe to what?

You add channels (Web sites) that AvantGo downloads for you and then sends
them to your Palm as a neat little package when you sync with your pc.  So,
basically you "subscribe" to Web sites and they get the content for you,
wrap it up and give it to you.

> how deep they want to link?

Yeah, it determines how many pages AvantGo retrieves for you.  Each user
controls how many links the program is supposed to follow.  If you go one
deep, that means it will follow every link from the first page and download
the subsequent pages, but no further than that.  It will ignore the links on
the second pages.

Additionally, a link depth of 0 will follow no links.

> can you explain this stuff some more?  maybe back it up with sample layout.

Here's a page that has the example:

http://avantgo.com/developer/enterprise/3.6/adminguide/ch5mana2.html#919204

> i was thinking the categories might go at the bottom, but that's just me.

That's all good. Keeps the content up top, which is really important on the
Palm.  Content good.

-d

ps. Here's another tid-bit I just found:

When designing pages for AvantGo, you should include the following META tag
in the HEAD element:

<META name="HandheldFriendly" content="True">

This tag enables several HTML features that are normally turned off. Most
notably, AvantGo ignores all JavaScript and does not try to display TABLE
tags or the HSPACE and VSPACE attributes of IMG tags unless the page is
marked as "HandheldFriendly". Most TABLEs or H/VSPACEs are designed for much
larger screens.

______
Whoops, just spilled salsa on the cat.

               - Em