[thesite] date format on thesite

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Sat Jan 20 23:31:31 CST 2001

At 22:56 20/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> > most places outside of north america, as far as i am aware, use
> > dd/mm/yyyy.  the mm/dd/yyyy format now used throughout the site is
> > completely ambiguous.
>
>well, so is dd/mm/yyyy   :-p

i am aware of that.

> > i would've hoped we could use a format that is more international -
> > either by spelling the month or using yyyy-mm-dd
>
>month names aren't exactly "international"   ;o)

because of the language issue? the site is already in english anyway.

>yyyy-mm-dd is an ISO standard

'tis my favourite.

we might be able to let the user choose in their preferences from a
drop-down list of formats. dateformat() takes a string for the mask, this
string could come from the user's profile.

hardly a coding priority however.

</ol>