[thesite] Print version of evolt.org articles

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Jul 19 00:38:11 CDT 2001

On Jul 19, aardvark had something to say about Re: [thesite] Print version...

>see, i just assumed that, as web developers, people submitting
>would realize that posting a *tag* would result in it being rendered,
>whereas posting some entities that describe a tag wouldn't...

Yeah...

except for the fact that when you *do* post a tag and it renders correctly
in the textarea, one is inclined to make the assumption that the entity
stuff (which is quite a pain in the arse) isn't absolutely
needed. Personally, if A seems to get the same results as B, but A is 10
times easier, I'm gonna do A. I'm not sure that's laziness. I write
articles because I want to write, not because I like manually searching my
code and text deciding which <'s and >'s should be converted to their
respective entities and which should not (especially when this *could* be
done automagically for me upon submission (well, the stuff in <pre>s
anyway)). I don't think it's unreasonable to think that this could be a
feature in place. I mean, evolt.org is a pretty advanced site with a lot
of voodoo goin' on (404s anyone?). In that context, a feature like this
involving some parsing and replacing don't seem too damn out of the
question, eh? So, that's why we needed that clarified in the writers
guidelines... even if we were insulting peoples' intelligences.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com