[thesite] Tips Database

Dean Mah dsmah at home.com
Mon Jul 23 13:14:02 CDT 2001

Seth Bienek writes:

> What does the structure of the tips table look like?

I'm not sure who created this table or when it was created but in the
test database it looks like:

SQL> desc thetips;
 ---------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 TIP_ID                                   NOT NULL NUMBER(8)
 TIP_DATE                                 NOT NULL DATE
 AUTHOR_ID                                         NUMBER(8)
 TIP_TYPE                                          VARCHAR2(200)
 AUTHOR                                            VARCHAR2(50)
 BODY                                              LONG

> > How do messages from thelist get into the table THELIST?
>
> Right now that is what the CF 'mbox mporter' does.  However it does
> it very slowly, even after being tweaked and optimized to the nth
> degree.  Would it be a pain in the ass to write a perl script for
> this?

How do messages get into the mbox file?  And when is this file
rotated?  Can it be a forced rotation rather than scheduled?

Ideally, I don't want the Perl script to work over a live file.  I'd
rather have the script signal a rotation of the file and work on the
static copy.

Dean