[thesite] Tips Database

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed Jul 25 14:52:17 CDT 2001

> congrats

Congrats to Dean, he did all the work.  :)

> apologies for not having kept myself informed of the details of all your
> efforts, but it sounds like you and dean are owed a few rounds...

You can't be everywhere.. I'll sure take anyone up on those rounds though! :)

> i can slap indexes on anything you want, but i'm wondering if i
> should even
> make the attempt over a telnet connection

Whatever works for you.  Not a big rush, but it will help things along nicely whenever the indexes are in place.

> could you please save me the effort of combing through thesite
> archives and
> tell me what tables are involved?

 From what I know, there is apparently a test database for Oracle.  The table name is 'thelist'.  That is all, for now.

I do believe the table structure for 'thetips' needs some changes, though..

Currently 'thetips' looks like this:
 ---------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 TIP_ID                                   NOT NULL NUMBER(8)
 TIP_DATE                                 NOT NULL DATE
 AUTHOR_ID                                         NUMBER(8)
 TIP_TYPE                                          VARCHAR2(200)
 AUTHOR                                            VARCHAR2(50)
 BODY                                              LONG

It needs two more fields:
messageid  ???  <- This is a FK for the mesageid field in 'thetips'
tip_type_id  number(8)  <- This will be a FK to a table used for standardizing tip types

And some renames:
attrib_type  VARCHAR2 (200)  <- This should replace TIP_TYPE.
attrib_author  VARCHAR2 (50) <- This should replace AUTHOR.
tip_body  LONG <- This should replace BODY

> integrating the tips into the CONTENT table -- worthwhile?  don't bother?

Beats me.  I don't see any advantage.

> i used to think the main advantage was that tips would then be searchable,

We should be able to index this with Verity, no?

Seth

"If you're ever in an elite paratrooper group, on a secret mission, and your parachute doesn't open, I don't think anyone would blame you if you scream."  -Keith Sanvidge

Seth Bienek
Digitaris Technologies, Inc.
tel (972) 690-4131, ext. 103
fax (972) 690-0617