[thesite] Tips Database

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed Jul 25 16:07:50 CDT 2001

> especially if the format changed in the middle.

The format changes at message number 11480, to be exact. :)

This is what I did to parse out the dates (not sure if it's any help to you):

<!--- If the message number is less than 11480 --->
<cfif getmessage.messageid LT 11480>
	<!--- Treat the hdr_date field as a list delimited by spaces.  The month is the third list element, the date is the 4th element, and the year is the 2nd element. --->
	<cfset MessageDate = DateFormat("#listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 3, " ")# #listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 4, " ")#, #listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 2, " ")#", "MMMM dd, yyyy")>

<!--- If the message number is greater than 11480 --->
<cfelse>
	<!--- Same as above, but the order of the elements in the list is different. --->
	<cfset MessageDate = DateFormat("#listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 2, " ")# #listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 3, " ")#, #listgetat(getmessage.hdr_date, 5, " ")#", "MMMM dd, yyyy")>
</cfif>

Does that make sense? It's not so much work to parse the data out, it's just a pain in the ass to do it every time you need the info, and it's not feasible for querying purposes..

Seth
"If you're ever in an elite paratrooper group, on a secret mission, and your parachute doesn't open, I don't think anyone would blame you if you scream."  -Keith Sanvidge
Seth Bienek
Digitaris Technologies, Inc.
tel (972) 690-4131, ext. 103
fax (972) 690-0617