[thesite] map - the FSFE way

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Thu Jul 26 10:23:17 CDT 2001

Martin wrote:

>Warden, Matt wrote on 25/7/01 7:32 pm
>
>>>Anyone figure out a way to find lats and lons for other countries based
>>>upon postal address (or code)?
>>>

>Arg. Geocoding. It's not fun. The likes of http://www.mapinfo.com/
>and other GIS suppliers make a very, very large amount of money off
>it.

I suspected that would be hard to pull off. Shame for us (good for
them). Oh well.

>Here's a thought - could the zoom be provided by someone like
>http://www.multimap.com or mapquest?

Yes I suppose it could. Members could provide their own url to whichever
mapping site covers their area. That would have the added benifit of
being self maintainable - by the members that is.

The one caveat is that we would have to occassionally check for the
validity of the link. An easily automated process.

>Here's me:
>http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=eh111qj

Cool Martin. That is more detail that I would choose to give because of
my family, but the advantage to the method above is that I could provide
whatever level of detail I wanted.

BTW - are there really that many train tracks in your neighborhood?