[thesite] AnswerThis

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sat Jun 2 15:56:31 CDT 2001

Hey Matt... and everyone else,

| AnswerThis is in place and ready to go.

Matt, care to elaborate?  What's in place and ready to go?  Where is the
question going to appear? Has the idea/concept of AnswerThis been written?
Where are the possible solutions going to be entered?  Will the solutions
fit within the existing article structure?  Who's going to review the
various possible solutions based on technology used?  yadda, yadda

Ok, after asking several questions .. let me say this.  I don't think the
above is in place nor been decided upon.  The most important being how to
present it to site members (and list members).

As I understand it, there are two very fundamental goals behind the
AnswerThis project, the first being, to get some really kick-ass articles
for weo, the second being to build community involvement and encourage
members (site and list) to participate, using their technology of choice.

Yes, we already have a really great idea for the first "problem" to be
answered.  And, you and I know the solution we'd present for ASP, and I see
your point about not (a) writing the problem and (b) providing the solution.
Now, I'll go one step further and say, shouldn't ALL of Admin be
*disqualified* (for lack of a better word) from writing the solution?
Doesn't this go against the second objective of the project, that being to
encourage other members to participate?

The way I see it, I'd like to establish a "Team of Reviewers" .. taken from
Admin and thesite members.  For example, Matt, Scott, Adrian for review of
ASP solutions, Jeff, Joshua, Erik for CF, not sure who to suggest for PHP,
Zope, etc.  Depending on the question/problem, JavaScript, Jeff and who
else?

Then the Team of Reviewers can *expertly* review the various solutions,
modify as necessary, provide constructive criticism/feedback, etc.  Final,
kick-ass solutions, could be presented as a whole on the weo site, much like
what happened with the Breadcrumb articles, we'll end up with a series of
articles, that have been peer-reviewed, in different technologies.

Can we, do we want too, set up AnswerThis as its own "site"?  I'm not sure
if a.e.o. has officially been taken for thewife/thenag, Dan?

Now, since I've been a pain in the ass, and jumped in on this project .. I
know you're (Matt) leaving to go away, so, perhaps the best thing to do is
bring this on the back burner until you get back.  Or, if you want to assign
tasks to me (or whoever else), to get the backend in place or whatever it is
that's required, let me know.

I don't want to rush this project .. its too good of any idea, and the
objectives are really important.

Let's discuss,

Michele