[thesite] AnswerThis

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun Jun 3 00:52:29 CDT 2001

Matt,

Ok, my idea is more complex.  I'll agree to simplify, and let's see how it
goes, what the response is, etc.

The category exists, what needs to be done?

Just add it to the top navigation and also to article submission page?  This
category will only be available for admins to submit to (like FAQ) [for the
time being]?  I want to ensure that the AnswerThis! category does NOT become
a depository for questions from regular site visitors.  We get several of
those types of "articles" and submissions via the contact us page asking for
answers to a question someone has.  That said, if this flies, there's no
reason why others can't write a Problem, but it will need to be
reviewed/submitted by an admin (or at least Admin can only set the
AnswerThis category on any submission).

How complex would it be to have this category also viewable on the site page
(i.e. going against the FAQ and Job categories)?   The front page will give
it far more advertising/promotional value, specifically to site visitors.

Important question ... timing ... will you have a chance to modify the above
queries to implement this category before you leave?

If so ....

I'll write the problem .. you can review it ... no worries, I won't respond.
Do we want to go so far as to provide a sample DB structure?  hmm.. that
brings up a point, will the possible solution be dependent on what DB is
used (SQL differences)?  I'm thinking it might be, so, for simplicity sake,
I won't mention what DB, but will define the specific tables?  Or, would you
prefer I back up one step and generalize even more, thereby requiring the
data structure to be a part of the solution?  Your call ...  (We can discuss
this further, offlist.)

If you don't have time to implement the above before you go ..

I'll write the problem later. <G>

I would like to reiterate that I really don't think Admin should be
answering .... at least not right away.  Give other site/list members a
chance first, if nothing, then Admin can respond if they wish.

I'll write the announcement email to be sent to thelist as well .. perhaps
even drop it in as an FAQ or just as an article.

Laterz,

Michele