[thesite] Testing: Submit an Article

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun Jun 3 15:19:52 CDT 2001

Hey Jeff,

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>

| michele,
|
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| : From: Michele Foster
| :
| : JoeTheTester has been busy trying to submit
| : an article to the Evolt site.  But, he's
| : having some problems.... Here's the message
| : he keeps getting:
| :
| : error   unauthorized access
| :   You are not authorized to edit the article
| :   selected.
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| logged in as joethetester and got the same error when trying to submit.

Oddly enough, I just tried with a test ID Matt has, and it worked fine.  No
error.  (juser/juser)

| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| : Now, I'm wondering if there's a cookie or
| : something already set on my machine from
| : being logged in as my own ID.  That might
| : explain the problem. ??
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| nope, if you logout it blasts away any cookies you might have had related
| your login.

Ok .. I thought so, was wondering as it seemed to think I was trying to
"Edit" an article, which I may have been doing when logged in as myself.

http://www.evolt.org/article/index.html?action=submit&cfid=486712&cftoken=40

http://evolt.org/article/index.html?action=submit&cfid=378453&cftoken=397358
| 8 (NS)
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| how are either of these different, aside from the session vars being
| different (for obvious reasons)?

They are the same cfid and cftoken (unique within each browser) regardless
of which user I am.

| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| : Then I was checking to see if Joethetester
| : exists within the drop down author menu..
| : and I can't find him in there.  So, ummm..
| : is that the problem?
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| nope, he's there, you just gotta look for him.

Yeah, I found it .. sorry.

| the problem as far as i can tell --  based on the logic that gives the
| "unauthorized access error" is that joe isn't getting a session id set
| properly when he logs in.  how/why that's happening i'm not sure.

Ok, so this we need to resolve then.  Any chance its Joe's priv level?  The
juser ID was created back in april (19th), Joethetester I created last week.

| fwiw, test users and test articles should be done on test.evolt.org and
not
| thesite.

Now, lets see this scenario .. I re-created Joethetester on t.e.o. .. then I
clicked to submit and all worked fine.  Then I logged out, logged back in,
click submit and end up with the same error as above.

And, yes, I will agree testing should be done on t.e.o.  I'm only using
Joethetester as a login so that I can see how things work, outside of Admin
PRIV status.  I'm working on a new FAQ ... and as such looking at the entire
evolt.org sites from a "new user's" perspective.  When I'm done with Joe,
I'll ask that he be deleted.

Anyway, I have no clue what to suggest wrt the error above.

Michele