[thesite] high level cookie question..

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 5 17:04:48 CDT 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: ok, so lets say I hash the username then store
: the hash in the cookie.  then lets say when i
: want someone to read that cookie, i tell them
: how i hashed it or whatever. is that better?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i know you're just throwing around ideas on how to make this work.  so, i'm
going to play devil's advocate with this one.  how does passing the username
around -- hashed or not -- help?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: as for sessions, it won't work with that I'm
: trying to do AFAIK. how to you maintain a
: session across different machines that have
: different hostnames that are written in
: different languages?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that's kind of a trick question really.  the operative word is "maintain".
in reality, it's not possible to maintain the session.  however, if we can
come up with a way to instantiate a new session on another box in an
environment that may or may not be running the same middleware language with
the same information that's stored elsewhere for the user's current session,
thereby making it look as though session state has been maintained -- that's
what we're looking for.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: not that it wouldn't rule, but jeff and i were
: chatting about it on the phone and didn't think
: it could be done very easily.. unless someone
: else hasa better idea or some insight that we
: didnt

yup, not going to be easy.

thanks,

.jeff