[thesite] Answer this

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Sat Jun 9 10:31:32 CDT 2001

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, especially
because I think it's a fantastic idea (and it
sure beats the crap out of a generic FAQ),

but,

Seeing the first Question, I really don't think
the mechanism works *at all*.

In every other respect, WEO (in common with all
other webloggy-type apps) takes responses to
the question on the same page.  We're asking
people to create new articles in another section
entirely.  Worse, those new articles make no
backward-reference whatsoever to their progenitor
article in the AnswerThis section (how could
they?)

Suggested options:

1)	Backtrack Code articles to their source
	(not attractive to me because it will
	inevitably fill the code section with
	shitloads of similar articles in various
	script languages)

2)	Allow long responses (including code) in
	the below-article discussions in the
	AnswerThis section.

Either way, what's just arrived is
counterintuitive - and I suspect the only reason
I followed it at all is because I'm on thesite
list.  Something this obtuse defeats the object:
I see very little point in creating something
which is intended to get soid contributions from
outside the evolt 'core', yet cannot really be
used by anyone in that category.

Obviously I should make clear that I'm not
denigrating anyone's efforts per se - this is
more of a UI 'bug' than a fundamental problem
I think.

jh