[thesite] Answer this

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sat Jun 9 14:55:50 CDT 2001

> From: "John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com>
> Subject: RE: [thesite] Answer this [LONG]

> > That's the point. See Breadcrumbs for XXXXXX. Shitloads? I don't
> > think it will be *that* effective. If so, we'll have to figure a
> > way to determine which articles get approved.
> >
> > > 2) Allow long responses (including code) in
> > > the below-article discussions in the
> > > AnswerThis section.
> >
> > No way. See above.
>
> Hang on: you can't have it both ways.

I can't?

> Either there won't
> be shitloads of similar-looking Code articles, or there'll
> bee too many comments in AnswerThis articles.

Huh? Don't you mean either there will be too maybe comments on
AnswerThis articles or there *will* be shitloads of similar-looking
solution articles? I think that's what you mean. Regardless, I don't
agree with it. *Maybe* we'll end up with one or two people posting
solutions as comments to problem articles, but the problem article
says right in it that solutions should be articles.

As for shitloads of similar-looking articles, I don't think that will
happen either. I mean, count the number of solution articles we have
now. Zero. We'll end up with two... maybe three. The hope is that
each uses a different scripting language or takes a different
approach.

> To reject
> both assumptions is illogical, Captain.

Then call me Captain Illogical, I guess.

> > > Something this obtuse defeats the object:
> > > I see very little point in creating something
> > > which is intended to get soid contributions from
> > > outside the evolt 'core', yet cannot really be
> > > used by anyone in that category.
> >
> > What do you mean by this? I think you are hinting at something
> > that should be added to the category information article. If so,
> > what should be added?
>
> Nah - just a reiteration of the way in which AnswerThis
> doesn't work the same way as any other article type.

Well, the AnswerThis problem article is different.

Think about the Breadcrumbs for XXXX articles. Those could have been
created by the AnswerThis method. This type of article is already
established on weo.

> > And "outside the evolt 'core'"? You mean we'd be accepting
> > problem articles from non-admin authors.. is that what you're
> > referring to?
>
> No, rather to the intended influx of Code pieces.  [Brief pause
> there to note how much Earth: Final Conflict (which is on the TV
> behind me) sucks ass].

No. These aren't just going to be code articles. That's just the
initial use for it.

> Interestingly, though, the only
> reason they've *noticeably*  trailed off in number is because the
> Admin group have stopped writing them.  We've never had many more
> pieces going in from non-admins than now.
>
> Why?  [That's probably a new thread, and in any case I'll wait for
> suggestions before offering any].

Fwiw, this drop off from admin is intentional.

> Like the evolt founders getting radically busier
> in the last 2 years and not writing nearly all the content...

Again, this isn't it at all. The drop off from admin is intentional.
Same with thelist. We're letting the members takeover. It isn't our
show. It's the members' show.

> I mean, I've been a member of thelist for about that long
> and there's no doubt at all that I'd have written articles
> (or got friends and/or employees to do so) *if* I had a
> clearer idea of what was wanted....

Have you read articles on the site? Check out the Highest Rated
Articles box. That's what is wanted.

> But I'll tell you one thing (and to be honest I might not
> have jumped in quite so quickly on this subject otherwise):
> MAN, that's one _dull_ first Question.  By which I mean
> what can it possibly result in that hasn't been done by
> every other How-To site?
>
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/backend/databases/tutorials/tuto
> rial3.ht ml
> http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/228
> <insert your favourite example here>

Maybe you don't agree, but that was *also* intentional. If we started
off with a super-complex question, we were afraid that it would be
too much at once. It was suggested that we start off with a
relatively easy but common problem so that we could get some people
excited about getting their solution heard. This is a decision that
could be argued well either way.

> Here's a very serious suggestion:  why don't we take the
> question of 'What Would You Like to See on WEO?' to thelist?
> We want more articles, but you don't get if you don't ask. At
> the very least we'd be able to compile a nice commissioning
> list.

Something similar to this was something discussed prior to the
AnswerThis suggestion. I believe it was Martin who brought up a
article that listed desired articles. I thought it was a bit too
pushy. I mean, we don't pay our contributors. They just contribute.
Now, we go to them and ask them to contribute specific things? I
thought AnswerThis was a more elegant way of doing this.

> Tired now.  That took an hour of thought and editing.

Unfortunately, I dont have that kind of time, so my response is most
likely much less solid. I'm literally walking out the door to a
little vacation. Hopefully someone will pick up discussions about
this and make changes as needed.

Thanks for bringing this up.

- --
mattwarden