[thesite] thetips database

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed Jun 20 14:34:54 CDT 2001

> i notice its still running? whats the word?

The Bird is the word!

The template's working great.  I cleaned up the testing db records this morning and started kicking the mbox file into the empty database about 3 hours ago..

It moves messages into the database in chunk sizes that you specify on the command line.  I am planning on importing 1000 messages a day unless I'm told otherwise.  That should just slow the server down for a couple of hours at a time...  The first 1000 is going in now (plus 250 from smaller batches earlier today).

Interestingly enough, the template runs several times faster on my machine at home (which is a real POS, BTW) than on LEO..   The bottleneck isn't the database as we figured, but rather the parsing..

It should be pegging the processor and using quite a bit of memory, then cleaning up after it runs..

Any thoughts/concerns/comments?  Anyone?

Seth

Seth Bienek
Digitaris Technologies, Inc.
tel (972) 690-4131, ext. 103