[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Jun 26 13:30:00 CDT 2001

.jeff wrote:

> i'm fine with that.
>
> support on other platforms is not necessary because this bit of code only
> gets sent out if the user is running win/ie5+.

no way. we've *never* had features that are platform specific.. either
we get it to work across everything, or we dont use it IMO. once we
start going down the road of 'just one feature for IE' only, it will
only turn into one more feature. then another and another untill the
site in IE is different than anything else.

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : and on top of that, we keep adding more and more code,
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> kinda necessary for more features doncha think?
>

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : these pages take forever to  render on my home machine...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> nothing i can do for a tired, 3 year old machine on 33.6.  sorry.

why? since when is every evolt user on a fucking t-1 1Ghz 256Mb PC??

a perfect example of 'features' like this that we *DONT* need is the
drop box when you edit an article that contains all 4000+ usernames.

while it may render fast for you jeffy, its unusable to everyone else. i
can point out numerous occasions - as i'm sure others can - where I've
not edited an article at home because it takes so long to render.

when and if you're creating features where have control over the
audience, go nuts. not here.

> : we don't need all this code we keep adding, but we
> : keep going to town on it...
>
> that's a matter of perspective.

wtf is that supposed to mean? no shit its perspective. its also one that
more than aardvark has.

> it's all very valuable, but nonetheless debatable.

?

.djc.