[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 13:51:15 CDT 2001

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com>
>
> no way. we've *never* had features that are platform specific.. either
> we get it to work across everything, or we dont use it IMO. once we
> start going down the road of 'just one feature for IE' only, it will
> only turn into one more feature. then another and another untill the
> site in IE is different than anything else.

he's got a point... although i thought there was something (outside
of admin) that was IE-specific... either way, when we first started
down the redesign road, we had discussed one version of the UI
that would get deployed to all platforms, all users, all browsers...
that was how i approached the HTML for the site...
conditionalization based on user agent was something of a no-no, i
had thought...

are djc and i the only ones who thought this?

this isn't an attack by any means, i just wanna know if we had that
'policy,' and if we did, are we moving away from it?

> why? since when is every evolt user on a fucking t-1 1Ghz 256Mb PC??

well, the question is, is every IE5 user on a new machine?  my IE5
install at home clearly isn't...

> a perfect example of 'features' like this that we *DONT* need is the
> drop box when you edit an article that contains all 4000+ usernames.

yeah, i'm still holdin' on to that one as an issue...

> while it may render fast for you jeffy, its unusable to everyone else.
> i can point out numerous occasions - as i'm sure others can - where
> I've not edited an article at home because it takes so long to render.

you know, that's right, i never edit articles from home anymore, and
since i rarely edited at work, i've noticed i don't edit at all... and i
*know* i don't do it at home because of the select menu, but that is
*so* not on-topic here...

> when and if you're creating features where have control over the
> audience, go nuts. not here.

you said 'nuts'

> > :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > : we don't need all this code we keep adding, but we
> > : keep going to town on it...
> >
> > that's a matter of perspective.
>
> wtf is that supposed to mean? no shit its perspective. its also one
> that more than aardvark has.

well, in that case, anyone else wanna weigh in?

i always feel like i'm putting the smack down on stuff because it
doesn't fit with our style, our theme, or code perspective, our user
focus, etc...

and i'm not apologizing for that, it's one of my roles here...