[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 14:07:56 CDT 2001

aardvark,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: aardvark
:
: well, i haven't seen it unstyled... what is it
: you're trying to achieve?  make it look like a
: link?  make it stand out a bit?  how about using
: a good ol' fashioned <a>?  that will change its
: color... perhaps a strong, too... but since that
: implies structure that isn't there, you'd be
: better off inserting the style for bold in the <a>...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

first, go view it in its current incarnation.  i've applied alot of the
suggestions that have been made.  check it now and let me know what you
think.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: then we can discuss if we want to make a new class
: for that...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

agreed.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: that class could then be applied to the author
: link as well...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

possibly, but i don't see the treatment being the same.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > just implemented and tested and i don't like it.
: > it's quite a bit longer than the + is wide causing
: > the content to shift.  at least the way it is now
: > it just swaps the indicator and the title doesn't
: > move.  i'm leaving it as two hyphens until someone
: > comes up with a better solution.
:
: ok, go with an en-dash, &#150; ... it's probably more
: what you're looking for...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and the problem with just using two hyphens is?  in the currently displayed
font, two hyphens are exactly the same width as a plus so the title of the
comment doesn't shift when i toggle display and change the visual indicator.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > scathing technicality
:
: heh... best kind...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bathwater should be boiling -- literally
cuts and scrapes should be rinsed with jack daniels
gargle with napalm to kill that morning breath

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: if that's the only way to do it, so be it... but i
: had to register my opposition to <span>s whenever
: i'm not 100% sure they are justified... it would
: be nice if you could apply the display property to
: the parent container (the <td>) but i suspect that's
: nigh impossible...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it's easy as shit actually.  the problem is that when you change the display
property for a td you start affecting layout.  in other words, if a comment
is  collapsed there's no longer a displayed cell to the left of the comment
title and the cell stretches out to fill the content area and push up
against the left side.

as you can tell i already tried that and didn't like the results.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: global <a> style calls for underlining i believe...
: you can only override that inline...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shouldn't it only cascade to that link if there's no class as well?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > there was a complaint that it was too bold compared
: > to the title of the comment.
:
: the author was?  hmmm... ok.... i don't remember what
: the style was in there and i don't have the URL here
: at work... do what you can...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it was just set to pagetitle1 for the td and an h4 for the comment title.
the author link was a standard link.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: you'll note that features generally don't impress me...
: don't get me wrong, this is a great feature, but i'll
: never use it... and i'm not sure how it immediately
: benefits users... but there's also nothing wrong with
: experimenting and gauging response from users... it's
: probably the best way to test things...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

agreed.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > nothing i can do for a tired, 3 year old machine on
: > 33.6.  sorry.
:
: hey!  it's 4.75 years old, and it is *not* tired, it's
: resting its eyes...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i stand corrected.

: > that's a matter of perspective.
:
: well, if we could kill those spans without adverse
: affect, then that prespective has a point...

see above.

thanks,

.jeff