[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 14:45:02 CDT 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
>
> first, go view it in its current incarnation.  i've applied alot of
> the suggestions that have been made.  check it now and let me know
> what you think.

ok, i'm viewing
http://test.evolt.org/article/expandomagico/21/10781/index.html

the +/- thingie is offset awfully low... and the new black title gets
lost with the hyperlink...

we have a whole *lot* of crap going on in the left edge of those
comments... it's link spaghetti...

in fact, i'm more in favor of removing links...

oh well, i'm just simple...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : then we can discuss if we want to make a new class
> : for that...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> agreed.
>
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : that class could then be applied to the author
> : link as well...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> possibly, but i don't see the treatment being the same.

perhaps not... but only because of the color change... i can't say i
like the title black, i was thinking a darker green...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : > just implemented and tested and i don't like it.
> : > it's quite a bit longer than the + is wide causing
> : > the content to shift.  at least the way it is now
> : > it just swaps the indicator and the title doesn't
> : > move.  i'm leaving it as two hyphens until someone
> : > comes up with a better solution.
> :
> : ok, go with an en-dash, &#150; ... it's probably more
> : what you're looking for...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> and the problem with just using two hyphens is?  in the currently
> displayed font, two hyphens are exactly the same width as a plus so
> the title of the comment doesn't shift when i toggle display and
> change the visual indicator.

it looks like two hyphens...

i probably see that much differently than anyone else, but i see it
as someone who doesn't have a grasp of the character set and who
didn't bother to test it... i know that isn't the case, but i've been
watching the process and i know who's doing it... other people will
see two hyphens...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : > scathing technicality
> :
> : heh... best kind...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> bathwater should be boiling -- literally
> cuts and scrapes should be rinsed with jack daniels
> gargle with napalm to kill that morning breath

damn, there goes my paint thinner eyedropper kit...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : if that's the only way to do it, so be it... but i
> : had to register my opposition to <span>s whenever
> : i'm not 100% sure they are justified... it would
> : be nice if you could apply the display property to
> : the parent container (the <td>) but i suspect that's
> : nigh impossible...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> it's easy as shit actually.  the problem is that when you change the
> display property for a td you start affecting layout.  in other words,
> if a comment is  collapsed there's no longer a displayed cell to the
> left of the comment title and the cell stretches out to fill the
> content area and push up against the left side.
>
> as you can tell i already tried that and didn't like the results.

yeah, which is why i made the comment the way i did... i just
assumed you had tested it...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : global <a> style calls for underlining i believe...
> : you can only override that inline...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> shouldn't it only cascade to that link if there's no class as well?

if there's no class, it will be underlined... if you insert a new class
that doesn't explicity handle the underlining, it will inherit it from the
generic <a> class... so you need to do it in the CSS a part of the
new class, or inline...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : > there was a complaint that it was too bold compared
> : > to the title of the comment.
> :
> : the author was?  hmmm... ok.... i don't remember what
> : the style was in there and i don't have the URL here
> : at work... do what you can...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> it was just set to pagetitle1 for the td and an h4 for the comment
> title. the author link was a standard link.

ahhh...  then i'd say cut the <strong> from that entire line... then
darken up the h4, or class it as a comment h4...

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : > nothing i can do for a tired, 3 year old machine on
> : > 33.6.  sorry.
> :
> : hey!  it's 4.75 years old, and it is *not* tired, it's
> : resting its eyes...
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> i stand corrected.

and it lays emphatically...

> : > that's a matter of perspective.
> :
> : well, if we could kill those spans without adverse
> : affect, then that prespective has a point...
>
> see above.

see below.

made you look !