[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

Elfur Logadottir elfur at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 15:03:21 CDT 2001

From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>

| > From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com>
| >
| > no way. we've *never* had features that are platform specific.. either
| > we get it to work across everything, or we dont use it IMO. once we
| > start going down the road of 'just one feature for IE' only, it will
| > only turn into one more feature. then another and another untill the
| > site in IE is different than anything else.
|
| he's got a point... although i thought there was something (outside
| of admin) that was IE-specific... either way, when we first started
| down the redesign road, we had discussed one version of the UI
| that would get deployed to all platforms, all users, all browsers...
| that was how i approached the HTML for the site...
| conditionalization based on user agent was something of a no-no, i
| had thought...
|
| are djc and i the only ones who thought this?

ok here's my thought on the matter:

with this feature we aren't conditionalizing anything, yes, we're adding to
the display in ie5 and 5.5 (not ie6beta) while we're not adding to the
display for others - just as with our class usage we're adding to the
display for those using gen4 browsers as opposed to those using gen3
browsers.

As long as it is validated code, and doesn't hurt the display in other
browsers, i don't see the problem.

where we conditionalizing anything however ...

*the interfering one*