IE5 features vs. non ( was : RE: [thesite] comments on test.evolt.org)

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Tue Jun 26 17:02:46 CDT 2001

> > If we let people set a preference for the default state of the comments
> > (collapsed versus non-collapsed),
>
> Really, I only see the all-expanded or all-collapsed states as useful.
>
> > It would require some extra programming,
> > for sure
>
> Dude, it's setting the cookie, and then there's an extra <cfif> around the
> comments display. You're forgetting that Jeff 'n Dan are fucking
> modular-code-writing gods.

Lemme make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about a user
sets a preference to see *each* comment expanded or collapsed, not whether
the entire comments block appears. So a person would see the headers for
comments and whether something has been added since he/she was last there.

Are you talking about one large expando/collapso for the entire comments
section? I like my way better, but I'm not wedded to it.

> Even I could implement this shiz... and that's saying a lot.

Dude, I'm all over the cookie concept. Even *I*, arch-dinobot that I am,
have implemented cookies. ;p

> That said, I'd be happy to write it if this is what we're
> settling on. Just seems silly to me to download bytes we're
> gonna hide from the user anyways.

Trudat.

David