IE5 features vs. non ( was : RE: [thesite] comments on test.evolt.org)

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 17:22:46 CDT 2001

matt,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Warden, Matt
:
: > It would require some extra programming,
: > for sure
:
: Dude, it's setting the cookie, and then there's
: an extra <cfif> around the comments display.
: You're forgetting that Jeff 'n Dan are fucking
: modular-code-writing gods.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a cookie is *not* the answer.  i'm seriously opposed to that sort of
solution.  i agree that it would be more useful if it remembered it's state
between visits (but not logins) to thesite, but please do *not* do this with
a cookie without talking more about it.

if we do it with a cookie then let's set it via javascript so we don't have
to hit the server again simply to store a preference.  we can read it later
from coldfusion if we want (maybe to not send comments down the pipe if
they'd prefer to have them collapsed by default).  that brings up an issue
though which is the expando link would have now unset the cookie and reload
the page to get the contents of the comments -- lots of things to take into
consideration.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: That said, I'd be happy to write it if this is
: what we're settling on. Just seems silly to me
: to download bytes we're gonna hide from the
: user anyways.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

agreed.  however, let's keep something in mind.  they're only collapsed by
default if there are more than 15 (or whatever friggin number we wanna
decided on) comments.

i can see the side of the debate that says if they're not displayed then
don't send the bytes down the pipe.  if we implement something that involves
remembering the user's preferred state and they prefer all collapsed, then
we could go off that and not send the bytes down the pipe.  however, they
don't make a choice, i'd rather have a dhtml solution in place that simply
hides the comments until they choose to view a particular one.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org