[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 22:41:48 CDT 2001

> either we get it to work across everything, or we dont use it IMO.

quick - delete the stylesheet!

css is an enhancement for browsers that support it. our site is still usable
with or without it. i see things with expand/collapse similarly.

i think that we have a few issues here:

(a) is the expand/collapse feature useful for anyone?

(b) would being able to disable comments (remembered by a cookie or pref) be
useful for anyone?

(c) how should the expand/collapse stuff, and the title/authorname, be
styled so that comment titles are not almost invisible as they have been?

(d) should we add features/enhancements that do not work for *every*
prospective visitor?

---

(a) i would use it. i suggested it. i can read every comment on the
expandomagic example article
(http://test.evolt.org/article/expandomagico/21/10781/index.html) without
scrolling from my position. (start with all collapsed, and expand each to
read, and then collapse). i prefer to be able to read a comment at a time
without the distraction of an epic listing (example: alan's smart tag
article with 34 comments). if i want to have multiple comments open, i can.

(b) i wouldn't use it, but it might be useful for some people and should be
considered.

(c) the comment title needs to be more visible than it is currently on WEO.
i would rather that the +/-- change stayed the same. jeff's method achieves
this without using 2 images. i think it looks shitty when, onclick, the
comment title shifts around.

adrian - what resolution are you viewing the site at? it might be that jeff
and i are not noticing the "--" as much due to being at a higher resolution.
to me, the -- looks like a longish - unless i move closer to the monitor.

(d) if we can ensure that other visitors are not adversely effected by the
addition of enhanced features (css is a good example) and that essential
sections are always available (ie, being able to edit an article in a
textarea if you don't have something that supports the richtext editor),
then i don't see a huge problem.

in the specific case of expand/collapse code, if it is possible and
well-documented for mozilla/netscape6, could someone code that? then we'd
have an ie5+/mozilla/netscape6+ enhancement, just like our CSS styling is an
enhancement for 4+ netscape/ie, and opera/icab/mozilla, etc.

isaac

0414 758 000 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au