[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 23:40:18 CDT 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: > support on other platforms is not necessary
: > because this bit of code only gets sent out
: > if the user is running win/ie5+.
:
: no way. we've *never* had features that are platform
: specific..
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ah, careful what you say kemosabe.

several have already listed css as an example.

also, would this be as big of an issue if i told you i implemented it for
nn6 users only?  what about mozilla/linux users only?  or is it more of an
issue because i chose my os of choice -- the os that's easiest for me to do
initial prototyping and development with?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: either we get it to work across everything, or
: we dont use it IMO.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ah, so there goes dhtml in any fashion.  hell, even javascript is completely
out then too.  shit, that'd make html v4 a waste as well.  while we're at
it, let's throw out images too -- there's some browsers out there that don't
even display images.  back to reality though, i know the point you're trying
to make, but i'm trying to say you're argument is too broad to the point of
being impossible to implement anything that successfully meets your
criteria.

the important thing about thesite is that the content is accessible and
usable.  whether or not we come back in and add enhancements to that user
experience to improve the accessibility and/or usability for users of newer
browsers is beside the point so long as we don't affect that foundational
accessibility/usability we have in place.

am i considering adding my richtext editor as an optional tool for
submitting articles.  you better f*cking believe it.  why?  cause alot of
the people using the site are going to find it useful.  hell, i'll bet it'd
even increase the number of articles we get submitted cause people wouldn't
have to f*ck around with html.  yeah, non-window users can't use it.  yeah,
non-ie users can't use it.  if mozilla would get off their ass and develop
their scripted editing environment i'd implement that on thesite for
mozilla/nn6 users.  you know what though, nobody wants to take that bull by
the horns and ride him so i guess you don't get that fancy feature.  that
doesn't keep you from submitting articles though does it?  you just don't
get the time-saving benefit of the richtext editor.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: once we start going down the road of 'just one
: feature for IE' only, it will only turn into one
: more feature. then another and another untill the
: site in IE is different than anything else.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

is that what you think?  i'm not the only one working on the site you know.
furthermore, while i do prefer developing for ie-only (it's unfathomable
hours less time to develop for than anything else), i understand the
importance of doing more than that on mission-critical elements that are
used publicly.  that's not to say that occasionally we won't run up against
an idea that's only possible in ie for support reasons or sheer coding
effort reasons and end up deciding it would benefit the majority of our
audience (who just so happen to be running win/ie).

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > nothing i can do for a tired, 3 year old machine
: > on 33.6.  sorry.
:
: why? since when is every evolt user on a fucking
: t-1 1Ghz 256Mb PC??
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i honestly wouldn't know or care.  you see, i don't even match those system
requirements, so why the f*ck would i develop to them?  i was making a joke
specifically for aardvark's enjoyment because i know his home machine is
trusty, but bordering on senile.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: a perfect example of 'features' like this that we
: *DONT* need is the drop box when you edit an
: article that contains all 4000+ usernames.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now that's a completely separate issue.  however, if you wanna throw all
your stones at once (when this coulda/shoulda/woulda been brought up months
ago when it was implemented) that's fine by me.  what else have i built that
people are upset about or don't like?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: while it may render fast for you jeffy, its unusable
: to everyone else. i can point out numerous occasions
: - as i'm sure others can - where I've not edited an
: article at home because it takes so long to render.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i beg to differ.  there have been other people that said it was fine.  i
know it's an issue for some and for that reason am considering possible
solutions.  however, finding the time to just jump in there and implement
something is a bit of a pain.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: when and if you're creating features where have
: control over the audience, go nuts. not here.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when someone here at evolt.org is signing my f*cking checks *then* they can
tell me how to work, what to do, etc.  until then, let's keep in mind that
we're all busting our ass, on our own time/dime, and do this cause it's
supposed to be fun.  when i'm getting reamed for jumping on an idea that i
think would be neat (when i don't really have the time to be doing it
anyway), that doesn't make me wanna be so quick to help out in the future.
dig?

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/

ps -- i tested it on a mac/ie5.  it works peachy.  oh, and i fiddled with it
a bit and got it working in nn6 too.  happy now?