[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Wed Jun 27 09:56:22 CDT 2001

> From: "John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com>
> Subject: RE: [thesite] comments on test.evolt.org
>

> > From: "John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com>
> > |
> > | The conversations aren't threaded and the flow is expanded
> > | by default.
> > |
> > | I'm not seeing a point to this.
> >
> > you're not seeing a point to adding this feature, because all are
> > expanded now
> > .. ok.
> > the main think with this is however adding the possibility to
> > collapse *some* of
> > the comments, when the comments are many - or even collapse *all*
> > comments, and
> > expand on at a time.
>
> If so, -10^999.  It's fine the way it is.
>
> If not, it doesn't do anything.  I mean, nice trick and all,
> but IMO it's feature-creeping without an obvious benefit

You're absolutely right. And no one's even answered the "what good is this?"
question. I don't see the benefit in allowing IE5+Windows the ability to
hide the already-downloaded content in specific comments. An article has 10
comments... I click 10 times to collapse them all... then what? What the
heck was the point of that? Less amount of scrolling? Hell, I'd be in favor
of a "next comment" anchor that jumped the screen to the next comment before
I'd be in favor of this. I just don't see the reasoning for it.

I have a clarification of my suggestion (believe me, there neededt to be a
clarification) sitting in the outbox of my email client. I tried sending it
last night, but we've been having trouble with the cable connection since we
moved and it wasn't w3rkin last night. I'll send it along when I get home.

Thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com