[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Wed Jun 27 14:26:06 CDT 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
> Subject: RE: [thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : I gotta say that I'm opposed to this new
> : feature. I don't see that it adds a lot of
> : value to the user experience, [...]
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> possibly for the same reason that others don't think it adds much -- cause
> they don't completely understand how/when it works?

No. I'm pretty sure we all understand this thing. It collapses automagically
when the recordcount of comments is greater than (or equal to?) 15 and the
client viewing the page is either IE5 or NN6. All other times it's expanded
by default, but for some reason can be collapsed manually. The state of
collapse/expand is not stored and all comments are downloaded no matter
what.

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : but I do see that it adds a lot of extra
> : complexity to the code.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> it's actually not quite as complex as you might think.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to saving the state of each comment.

> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : Furthermore, this is the type of feature that
> : is very difficult to get to work right across
> : browsers and OS's.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> not as hard as you might think.  so long as we stick with dom compliant
> code, perform object/method detection before attempting to access
particular
> objects or execute particular methods we should be ok.  i've taken it to
> another level where i perform some detection server-side to save sending
> down the bits relevant to this feature to only those browsers i currently
> know to support it.

So, we're worried about sending extra bytes of code when they're not needed,
but not worried about sending extra bytes of comments when the user isn't
going to read them anyways?

> the script is finished.  judging from the screen capture, i'd say the
> browser isn't reflowing the document to accommodate the comment after it's
> display property is set from none to block.  that sounds like a bug in the
> browser itself.

So, you're not worried about it?

--
mattwarden