[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

Elfur Logadottir elfur at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 27 16:28:51 CDT 2001

From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>

| well, it's standards compliant code.  it's not rendered correctly by a
| particular browser.  whose fault is that?  should we conditionalize our
code
| (probably causing it to not be standards compliant) for a browser that
| hasn't even reached a public release yet?

ok, hold on here jeff, that's not how we're supposed to be addressing
things ... yes we follow standards, but yes we do hack the code to make
sure that *everyone* sees everything right ... we don't leave things out
there that we know are returning problems - beta product or what have you.

| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| : now, are you saying that you intend to leave
| : it or address it?
| :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| well, that's the question.
|
| some think i'm not fit to make decisions, so i'm not going to on this
one.

ease up here, it's hard to face opposition, but this is not neccesary.
of course you are just as fit as anyone to make decisions - but the main
thing is that neither you nor me can force our opinions upon others, and it
seems that we've got to accept being the minority here.

| my opinion is leave it.  it's a pre-release browser that is failing on
| standards compliant code.  when/if it reaches a public release, *then* we
| re-evaluate.

now again, leaving a bug, that we know makes problems for others, that's
just something we don't do, and won't do here ...

as you stated jeff, the majority of web users use win/ie combination ...
and i do agree with you that the majority of web users would benefit from
this ... others however disagree, and there are more of them disagreeing
than of us approving ... so we'll just have to take that one back to it's
hut and either figure out a way to improve the feature or nix it all
together.

My suggestion is therefore, that we drop the discussion of this feature -
now - that we remove the changes already made, since the majority isn't
approving it - but - that we keep on evaluating this possibility and
figuring out if we can or want to implant some sort of a
collapsing/expanding thing at all.

calling for a "formal" vote, preferably without further discussion
voting whether to remove or leave the new win/ie feature

elfur: remove - but keep evaluating it.

thanks
*the diplomatic one*