[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 27 17:34:01 CDT 2001

bruce,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Bruce Heerssen
:
: Heh, is it hot in here? I hadn't noticed ;)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i don't mind -- i'm getting an ice tan out of it.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: OK, you've just about sold me. I take it that
: the comments are meant to be displayed only if
: the user has not read them, which is determined
: by either a cookie or stored prefs.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wasn't thinking of doing it based on whether or not they've read the
comments -- that'd require alot more complexity like tracking views of
comments, etc.  while nice, i'm not sure that would be worth the effort
necessary to accomplish that.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Are you sure that you want to be parsing the
: user_agent string server-side?  Can you really
: be certain of it's accuracy, that you've accounted
: for all the variations in format? I'm not saying
: don't use it, just use it carefully.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

agreed.  originally it was just in there while i got it working win/ie5+
cause that's what i have handy.  i've since altered it slightly so it allows
ie5+ and anything with gecko in the ua.  since the code is fairly well
bombproof now though i think we could probably drop the server-side
detection with one icky side-effect -- the expand/collapse links would be
visible (but not usable) to everyone.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: And as for the mozilla bug, it might be worth
: checking the stats on that one. I would suspect
: usage of Mozilla is higher for evolt than for
: most other sites. But maybe not, [...]
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, i'm sure we do, but ...

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: [...] mozilla is supposed to release the 1.0
: version sometime relatively soon, so that bug
: may well dissappear.

that's exactly why i don't want to put any energy into it.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org