[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 27 18:39:11 CDT 2001

elfur,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Elfur Logadottir
:
: ok, hold on here jeff, that's not how we're
: supposed to be addressing things ...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh really?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: yes we follow standards, but yes we do hack
: the code to make sure that *everyone* sees
: everything right ...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

provided it's a critical element in our foundational
accessibility/usability.  however, if it's not a mission critical, then no,
it should not be hacked.

an example is setting up the css so nn3 doesn't show black text on a black
background -- but that doesn't take us away from standards in order to
implement.  that's mission critical to our foundational
accessibility/usability requirements.

however, putting in font tags so nn3 sees something other than times new
roman is not critical to those requirements.

providing server-side validation of data is critical for those browsers that
don't support javascript and to protect ourselves from someone copying our
forms onto our own machine and inserting garbage data into our system.
however, javascript can (should?) be added to all forms to prevent
unnecessary trips to the server just to remind them a particular field is
left blank.  this is an example of a critical requirement being enhanced
(and not in anyway hampered) for those with the capability.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: we don't leave things out there that we know
: are returning problems - beta product or what
: have you.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that goes without saying and has no bearing on this thread

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: | my opinion is leave it.  it's a pre-release browser
: | that is failing on standards compliant code.  when/if
: | it reaches a public release, *then* we re-evaluate.
:
: now again, leaving a bug, that we know makes problems
: for others, that's just something we don't do, and
: won't do here ...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what part of bug in a beta browser are people not understanding?  anybody
that includes beta browsers in their test bed for real-world site testing is
crazy.  beta browsers may be broken.  they may have features promised, but
not implemented yet.  anybody that uses a beta browser and expects sites to
cater to them (and consequently penalize working public release browsers) is
asking too much.  when you use a beta you use it knowing that it probably
has problems.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: as you stated jeff, the majority of web users use
: win/ie combination ... and i do agree with you that
: the majority of web users would benefit from this
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

did you miss the part where i said that it now works on mac/ie5 and nn6?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: ... others however disagree, and there are more of
: them disagreeing than of us approving ...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

are there?  or is that those disagreeing are just more vocal and those
agreeing are choosing to stay out of the way for fear of getting chewed up
and spit out?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: so we'll just have to take that one back to it's
: hut and either figure out a way to improve the
: feature or nix it all together.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

whatever

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: calling for a "formal" vote, preferably without
: further discussion voting whether to remove or
: leave the new win/ie feature

pass on the vote -- i think discussion is what will determine whether or not
to keep it.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org