[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 27 21:04:56 CDT 2001

re jeff vs dan - how about a trade-off?

dan's allowed to title admin.evolt.org "thewife" (and piss off rudy and
erika amongst others) if jeff is allowed to implement a few IE-only
features? ;)

> > let's say we implement the style changer.  i'd say that's a
> pretty serious
> > departure from your statement above.
>
> which stylechanger? why would someone be using a stylechanger in ns3?

dan, your original comment was:

  "some others have brought up this point, and
   the big thing thats being overlooked is the
   fact that when I come into evolt.org with
   NS3 I see everything that ie5.5 sees, sans
   colors.

   There is no loss of functionality or content."

the stylechanger is an enhancement for those browsers which support css,
right?

you have also previously said that if something is not available to
everyone, we're not doing it. jeff was just trying to point out that
implementing selective enhancements does not stop ANYONE from fulfilling the
basic goals of our site: reading content. if we were to not have any
enhancements whatsoever, we'd have to drop css, cookies, javascript, images,
etc.

many people have suggested that they wouldn't find this feature useful. i
would, and i think jeff may also. of the 1000's on thelist, i'm sure there
are a few more. also, i have stated how i would use it in its current
implementation. (many people appear to have not read that post.)

all of that aside, if the use that the minority derive from it does not
outweigh the negative issues (extra code and on-screen distractions)
experienced by the majority, then we can the feature. i don't have a problem
with that.

HOWEVER, i do have a problem with opposition to enhancements if they do
provide advantages to prospective users without disadvantaging others. a
prime example is the rich-text editor. if users can choose to submit
articles using that, and those who can't use it can still use the textarea,
where's the problem? if we were only accepting articles sent via the
rich-text editor, or we were giving priorities to those, there'd be a
problem, but that isn't an issue.

i'm not yet ready to can any tinkering with the comments. when i get an
email alert saying that martin or paul have commented on alan's 36ish
comment article, i go to the article (the #comments anchor doesn't appear to
work in this case) and have to scroll through every single one of those
(often lengthy) comments. at 800x600, i have to hit pagedown 39 fucking
times. or i have to blindly scroll looking for the position. (even at
2570x1024, i have to pagedown 11-12 times).

what if those comments already read (check time of last visit versus
timestamp of comment addition) were collapsed by default? or if there was
more of a marker of where in the list of comments i was up to last time i
visited?

the assumption in using the time of lastvisit is that i viewed that article
on my last visit, which might not be the case.

isaac