[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 00:21:55 CDT 2001

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com>
[...]
> alright!!!(aard is going to cringe at the triple !'s)

ok, now this is getting out of hand... nothing warrants the use of
triple exclamation points...

anyway...

i had two issues with this whole thing:

- i don't see what purpose it serves, other than as JS eye-candy...
sure, we can do it, but for those who want to read the comments,
they'll never use it (or they'll have to expand them all) and for those
who don't, they can just not scroll down... for those who pick and
choose, they'll often have to expand some just to get context for
comments that reference other comments... no, i can't see how it's
a feature that the site needs... as it is, it adds more code and
requires more CPU cycles, and it's something i'll never use, so i
resent having to download it and have my browser crunch it (no
matter how small) just to ignore it... yes, it's an old machine, but i
think others might feel the same...

- i'm not too keen on using JS and such... i'm very much wary of
client-side scripting, and always look to a server-side solution... in
fact, when the script appeared in the log-in box that removes the
sample text on focus when the 2.0 rolled out, my first reaction was
'what the hell?  i just had to move my mouse to select for
nothing?'... over time, i've found that i don't care, but it in no way
speeds *me* up, but for the few characters of code, it's no biggie (if
it went away, i wouldn't mind)... it's also not a big deal for my
browser to crunch since it's so simple... but to now have DHTML
for no hard reason, with so much variance in how it might work and
display, and with no specific problems we're trying to solve, it just
seems like frivolous code for code's sake...

now, i do whole-heartedly support the prototyping approach... build
it up to a degree, show it off, get some feedback... i say continue
with that, and don't feel bad if an idea doesn't make it to
production...

btw, i'm already steeling myself for the rich text editor you're talking
about... keep in mind i use notepad because it doesn't do code
completion or make assumptions about HTML...

i'm a client-side scripter's worst nightmare...

that and NN2...