[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 28 02:23:33 CDT 2001

> - i don't see what purpose it serves, other than as JS eye-candy...

YOU don't see what purpose it serves. i do. i would use the feature. i don't
doubt that others might also (especially if we further adapted the idea as i
have suggested).

whether the minority using it warrants inflicting the extra code on the
majority, is a different case. as i have said, i'm happy to miss out on that
feature should the majority consider it a disadvantage to them.

> sure, we can do it, but for those who want to read the comments,
> they'll never use it (or they'll have to expand them all) and for those

i want to read the comments. i would use it. have you been reading these
threads?

> sample text on focus when the 2.0 rolled out, my first reaction was
> 'what the hell?  i just had to move my mouse to select for

i can't believe that you don't ride a horse around instead of drive a car...

> nothing?'... over time, i've found that i don't care, but it in no way
> speeds *me* up, but for the few characters of code, it's no biggie (if

speeds me up. i'm sure it speeds things up for many others.

previously: click or click-drag in login box. delete text. enter username.
now: click. enter username.

assuming you don't use the cookie/remember-me feature, once you've learnt
that (hopefully on your second visit), how could that not speed you up?

> browser to crunch since it's so simple... but to now have DHTML
> for no hard reason, with so much variance in how it might work and
> display, and with no specific problems we're trying to solve, it just
> seems like frivolous code for code's sake...

i outlined the problem on admin (dealing with epic lists of comments), the
reason was provided. variance is another issue. the one variation so far
discovered appears to be with a beta browser. as much as everyone loves to
support little mozilla, should we race to support apparent bugs in other
beta browsers (no matter how small?).

> now, i do whole-heartedly support the prototyping approach... build
> it up to a degree, show it off, get some feedback... i say continue
> with that, and don't feel bad if an idea doesn't make it to
> production...

+1

> btw, i'm already steeling myself for the rich text editor you're talking
> about... keep in mind i use notepad because it doesn't do code
> completion or make assumptions about HTML...

if you don't want to use it, don't use it. it won't be enabled by default.
it will be an enhancement for those who want to use it.

it was running on the admin side of the www.evolt.org site before the
redesign. did you notice it?

isaac