[thesite] question from the peanut gallery

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 10:23:53 CDT 2001

> From:  Judith Taylor <judi at frognet.net>
[...]
> This question concerns the drop-down list of "Choose a category..."
>
> Would it be a PITA to make the dropdown go to the category chosen
> onChange? I have to admit to being a bit lazy and not want to have to
> click on the "Go" button to change categories...

no offense, judith, and i should qualify this by saying that no matter
how mean my comments sound, they never are intended to be, but
i think that's A Bad Idea(tm)...

i can't tell you how many times i've popped that open just to look
and accidentally clicked a different section... my web-surfer-ninja
training kicks in and i immediately start to go for the 'back' button
before i gratefully remember that the page won't reload until *i* tell
it to...

when i select a category, i often hit tab and then enter, and that
fires off the form... i still think it's faster to click, though...

i'll reserver my general commentary on my distaste for onChange
handlers in select menus for another time...