[thesite] friday is a good day..

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Fri May 18 16:01:19 CDT 2001

I think we are in general concurrence.  I was not taking into account the
fact that articles can be approved or disapproved--but either way the
article exists.  But, the recalculation of rank at the change of status of
each article is a foundationally solid solution.  The hit will happen once,
and it *should* keep the result set down to an absolute minimum on front end
queries

I would definitely suggest against using triggers in this case.  I'm finding
myself drifting more and more towards Rudy's (c), and Celko's  side of the
court on my thoughts about triggers.

> are you suggesting an application scoped variable?  i can envision the
logic
> necessary to make that hit as minimal as possible and happen only when
> absolutely necessary.

Application scoped variables was one solution.  In this case, you'd store
max(rank) or whatever.  If you don't like application scoped variables, a
simple query

SELECT Max(rank) AS max_rank FROM whatever

will be sufficiently fast as well.

-joshua